Education & Qualifications
- BA in Computer Science from Calvin College (2009)
- MS in Computer Science from University of Colorado (2011)
- Friends’ School Teaching Fellowship Graduate (2016)
- Colorado Licensed Teacher
- Responsive Classroom Level 1 Certified
- CPR/AED & First Aid Certified
- Arts-Integration Training through the Kennedy Center for the Arts
At the heart of my teaching is love: I want students to love learning, and to discover what brings them joy. I strongly believe that all learners can be successful, and that they only need to discover what works for them to find a path to that success. My teaching is student-centered, and takes a whole child (or person) and inquiry-based approach. Working with small groups or individuals allows me to focus on each learner’s strengths, needs, and interests and to create an instructional plan that best serves each student. I build relationships and connection with students in order to understand them as people, and thus better serve them as learners.
- Student-centered: focusing on the student, not the material, and what the student needs to be successful.
- Whole-child/whole-person: a movement that seeks to transition from traditional, narrow views of academic success to focus on practice, policies, and relationships that help students become “engaged, supported, and challenged” (more)
- Inquiry-Based Learning: seeking to trigger a student’s curiosity to promote engagement, interest, understanding, and retention of information (more)